Monday, May 17, 2010

Bay to Blakers

Well, Blake saw neither the bay nor the breakers. But he did see A LOT of other new things (ahem, strange naked people). Hopefully there are none of those in this photo.


For those unfamiliar with Bay to Breakers, it's actually a race where people run and compete to win. I'm assuming a handful of people do that. The other tens of thousands of us stumble through the 7-mile course from the San Francisco Bay to the breakers on the other side of the peninsula. Most people wear crazy, topically-themed costumes (my favorite this year was the Olympic curling team, complete with the sweepers and a GIANT curling stone). Some people wear nothing at all. Some people bring their dogs. And just about everyone brings alcohol or other things that are illegal to do in the street. Or just illegal period. B2B is a lot of fun, but Ryan and I and our friends quickly learned it's a very different experience with a baby.

Blake was smart enough to keep his eyes closed most of the time. Despite the crazy ruckuses and the very loud music, Blake slept and slept and slept. The stroller has that effect on him. Here's a photo showing one of the moments he first started to wake up. ("Mom, where are we????")



Okay, so you see the beer in the cup holder? That's the only one I actually drank. What you don't see is the handy-dandy ice-chest-like device Ryan fixed up for the compartment of the stroller underneath the baby. Oh yes, besides pushing baby Blake, I was also pushing several dozen beers on ice. I only consumed the one this year because, yes, I had to feed Blake about 3 hours into our journey. I pulled over to the side of the road, and found a decent place to rest while Blake enjoyed lunch. Believe me, I was discreet. There were a lot more women who weren't so discreet, and they weren't even nursing!

Surprisingly, I got the least amount of attention when I was feeding Blake. Most people along the course gave us big props for bringing the baby. One drunk girl even ran up to get her pregnant friend and declared, "See? This will be you next year!" Some people also took Blake's picture. Pretty much everyone first assumed the stroller was just a clever way for us to carry our booze. Most quickly realized we were carrying both booze and a baby. I like to say, in the Becker family, that's how we roll... in this case, quite literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment